Working and statutory holidays

What are my rights?

I was hired two weeks before Christmas. My boss gave me Christmas Day off but didn't pay me for the stat holiday. Is this legal?
  • Yes
  • No

There are 11 statutory (or “stat”) holidays in British Columbia each year. A stat holiday is essentially a paid day off. But some workers have to work stat holidays. Others may not be eligible to get paid when they get the day off. Learn your rights as a worker when it comes to statutory holidays.

What you should know

Work out problems

Common questions

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in April 2023
  • Time to read: 6 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Valerie Dixon, City of Vancouver and Carolyn Janusz, Victory Square Law Office LLP

Valerie Dixon
Carolyn Janusz

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.