Making an employment standards complaint

What are my rights?

If I make and employment standards complaint, can my employer point to my complaint as a reason to fire me?

You’re unhappy with something at work. You’ve tried unsuccessfully to resolve it directly with your employer. Or you’re afraid to raise the issue with them. One option to explore is making a written complaint to the BC Employment Standards Branch. This is a provincial government office that helps workers and employers resolve problems. We explain the steps involved in making an employment standards complaint.

What you should know

Steps to make the complaint

Who can help

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Jim Wu, Forte Workplace Law

Jim Wu

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

This website explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. The cases we refer to reflect real experiences, but names have been changed. See our full disclaimer.

Get the latest free info — sign up for our newsletter

Access the email newsletter archive.

Contact us

You can reach us by phone at 604-331-5400. More contact info.

Also from People's Law School

Dial-A-Law: A starting point for information on the law in British Columbia in 190+ topic areas. Available online and by phone.

Unbundled Legal Services: Learn about a new service model for lower-cost legal help. 

Beagle: A chatbot that helps with common legal problems. Look in the bottom right corner :)

Thanks to our funders

Meet our primary funders.

People's Law School logo

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.