Trees and neighbours

What are my rights?

If my neighbour's tree branches hang over onto my property, do I need their permission to cut them?

Clean air. Shade. Privacy. Trees give us all of these and more. But they can also cause disagreements, especially between neighbours. Disputes over trees can arise for many reasons, including overreaching branches and roots, damage caused by a falling tree or overhanging branch, and trespass onto a neighbour’s property to deal with a tree. Learn how to deal with problems involving trees and neighbours.

What you should know

Work out problems

Common questions

Who can help

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Patrick Canning and Daniel Sorensen, Sorensen Smith LLP

Patrick Canning
Daniel Sorensen

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

This website explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. The cases we refer to reflect real experiences, but names have been changed. See our full disclaimer.

Get the latest free info — sign up for our newsletter

Access the email newsletter archive.

Contact us

You can reach us by phone at 604-331-5400. More contact info.

Also from People's Law School

Dial-A-Law: A starting point for information on the law in British Columbia in 190+ topic areas. Available online and by phone.

Unbundled Legal Services: Learn about a new service model for lower-cost legal help. 

Beagle: A chatbot that helps with common legal problems. Look in the bottom right corner :)

Thanks to our funders

Meet our primary funders.

People's Law School logo

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.