My neighbour stores boxes in our shared hallway. I can barely get past. Is there anything I can I do?

I’ve tripped over their stuff a few times. And others in our condo building have noticed, too.



Vancouver, BC

Check your strata bylaws for any rules about uses of common property. For example, your building may not allow storage of personal items in common areas for safety reasons.

If your neighbour’s belongings are interfering with your ability to get into your home, tell your neighbour and ask them to move their things. You can refer your neighbour to your strata’s bylaws.

If that doesn’t work, you can write a letter to your strata council. In your letter, describe your complaint. Explain your concerns and give evidence of the problem you have with your neighbour. Describe how you’ve tried to resolve the matter with the neighbour and what outcome you’re seeking with the council's help. 

The strata council must investigate and respond to bylaw complaints. If the strata ultimately finds that a bylaw or rule has been broken, they could give your neighbour a warning or a fine (up to $200). Or, the strata could do what is reasonably necessary to resolve the problem and then ask your neighbour to pay for the reasonable costs of doing so.

Lisa Frey

Lisa Frey

Lawson Lundell LLP
  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in November 2020

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.