Constructive dismissal: When your job changes in a big way

What are my rights?

My employer moved me to a junior sales position from my role as branch supervisor. Is that more or less the same as firing me?
  • Yes
  • No

New and unexpected changes in the workplace can be stressful. When an employer changes your job in a big way, it can feel like you’ve just lost your job. In fact, you may have many of the same legal rights as someone who has been let go outright. Learn about constructive dismissal

What you should know

Work out the problem

Common questions

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in May 2020
  • Time to read: 10 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Richard Johnson, Ascent Employment Law and Leanne M. Walsh, West Coast Workplace Law

Richard Johnson
Leanne M. Walsh

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.