Collecting unclaimed court funds

What are my rights?

I understand I need a court order to have unclaimed court funds paid out to me. Do I need to hire a lawyer to file the application on my behalf?

Perhaps you received a letter from BC Unclaimed saying they have court funds you may be entitled to. Or maybe you searched your name on their database and turned up a result relating to a court case you were involved in. To claim those funds, you need to have a court order that proves your entitlement to the funds and directs BC Unclaimed to pay them to you. We explain the process, and walk you through the steps to apply for a court order.

What you should know 

The steps involved

Who can help

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

People's team, People's Law School

People's team

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

This website explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. The cases we refer to reflect real experiences, but names have been changed. See our full disclaimer.

Get the latest free info — sign up for our newsletter

Access the email newsletter archive.

Contact us

You can reach us by phone at 604-331-5400. More contact info.

Also from People's Law School

Dial-A-Law: A starting point for information on the law in British Columbia in 190+ topic areas. Available online and by phone.

Unbundled Legal Services: Learn about a new service model for lower-cost legal help. 

Beagle: A chatbot that helps with common legal problems. Look in the bottom right corner :)

Thanks to our funders

Meet our primary funders.

People's Law School logo

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.