Your rights to a driver's licence in BC

Myth or fact?

It takes a while to get your driver's licence. But once you get it you can never lose it.
  • Myth
  • Fact

Getting a driver’s licence for the first time is exciting. Before you can get behind the wheel in BC, though, you need to learn the rules of the road. Once you’ve earned your licence, you can keep it as long as you follow those rules and drive safely. Learn what you need to do to get — and keep — your licence.

What you should know

Work out the problem

Common questions

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in January 2021
  • Time to read: 14 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Krista Prockiw, ICBC and Sarah Leamon, Sarah Leamon Law Group

Krista Prockiw
Sarah Leamon

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.