I'm visiting BC for a few months. Do I need a BC driver's licence?

I have a driver's licence from my home country.



Surrey, BC

No. If you’ve just moved to BC from another province or country and have a valid driver’s licence, you usually have to apply for a BC driver’s licence within 90 days.

But you don’t have to do this if you’re:

  • A visitor. You can drive in BC for up to six months with a valid driver’s licence from the province or country you moved from.

  • A full-time student in a designated post-secondary school. You must carry your student ID with you when driving.

  • A temporary foreign worker with the seasonal agricultural worker program (SAWP). You can drive for up to 12 months on a valid licence from the province or country you moved from.

Sarah Leamon

Sarah Leamon

Sarah Leamon Law Group
  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in January 2021

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.