My partner and I are splitting up. What now?

We've been married for over 10 years, and it ended suddenly. I have no idea where to start looking for help.



Williams Lake, BC

Family law is the area of the law that deals with problems couples face when they break up — how property should be divided, how any children will be cared for, whether someone needs extra money to help pay the bills, and so on. Three excellent starting points are:

There are also options for help.

Clicklaw HelpMap
Search for free or low-cost legal help in communities across the province.
Unbundled legal services
You handle parts of your case, and get help from a lawyer with other parts.

People's team

People's team

People's Law School
  • Reviewed in March 2021
  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada

Was this helpful?

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help