The government is threatening to take my kids. What can I do?

Someone made a report about my family to the child protection authorities. I'm really scared.



Duncan, BC

If a child’s safety is at risk, the Ministry of Children and Family Development has to investigate. If a child protection worker from the ministry decides there’s a risk of harm and the child needs protection, the worker can remove the child from the home. They don’t need a court order to do so.

It's best to get help from a lawyer or legal advocate as soon as you know the ministry has concerns about the safety of your child. To see if you qualify for a legal aid lawyer, contact Legal Aid BC.

Good starting points for information include:

These are good places to find a legal advocate.



PovNet features a map tool to help find an advocate.
Logo for Clicklaw HelpMap

Clicklaw HelpMap

Clicklaw's HelpMap lists dozens of legal advocates in BC.

People's team

People's team

People's Law School
  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in March 2021

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.