Preparing to work in BC

Myth of fact?

Workers who come to British Columbia from other countries are subject to the same laws that apply to locals.
  • Myth
  • Fact

People from all over the world discover opportunities to live and work in British Columbia. In fact, the province’s economy relies heavily on migrant workers. If you’re considering coming to work in BC, these tips can help you prepare for and settle into a job.

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in March 2019
  • Time to read: 6 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Marina Sedai, Sedai Law Office; Fuerza Migrante, Fuerza Migrante; and Meera Thakrar, Larlee Rosenberg

Marina Sedai
Fuerza Migrante
Meera Thakrar

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.