List potential temporary substitute decision-makers

What are my rights?

Can I override a medical decision made for me by a temporary substitute decision-maker, if I subsequently become capable of making the decision myself?
  • Yes
  • No

If you’re not capable of giving informed consent to a health care treatment, someone will need to make the decision for you. If you don’t have another authority in place that addresses that specific health care need, a temporary substitute decision-maker may be appointed. This is someone who is temporarily appointed to make a specific health care decision for you. Learn more about this role.

What you should know

Make your list

Common questions

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in June 2019
  • Time to read: 7 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Kevin Smith, Retired lawyer and consultant

Kevin Smith

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.