I manage my husband’s federal pensions, because he can’t do it himself. What happens if I’m no longer able to do it?

My husband has dementia and is in long-term care. I handle his pensions through a “pension trusteeship.” He doesn't have any other planning documents in place. I’m in my 70s myself. I worry about what will happen if I become incapable or die before him. I’ve named our two grown children in my own power of attorney and representation agreement. I'm hoping our children can eventually take over and manage all of his affairs. They have power of attorney for me, so maybe that can just transfer over to him?


Victoria, BC

Kevin Smith

Retired lawyer and consultant

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

This website explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. The cases we refer to reflect real experiences, but names have been changed. See our full disclaimer.

Get the latest free info — sign up for our newsletter

Access the email newsletter archive.

Contact us

You can reach us by phone at 604-331-5400. More contact info.

Also from People's Law School

Dial-A-Law: A starting point for information on the law in British Columbia in 190+ topic areas. Available online and by phone.

Unbundled Legal Services: Learn about a new service model for lower-cost legal help. 

Beagle: A chatbot that helps with common legal problems. Look in the bottom right corner :)

Thanks to our funders

Meet our primary funders.

People's Law School logo

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.