Filling out probate or administration forms

If your application for probate or administration is rejected, you can correct the problems and re-apply. But this will cause delays. Here, we walk you through common questions asked about the main forms involved (which you can find here). We also offer some practical tips to make a successful application. Read on to give yourself the best chance of getting that grant the first time around.

Tips for making a successful application

Notice of proposed application (form P1)

Submission for estate grant (form P2)

Affidavit of applicant (form P3, P4 or P5) 

Affidavit of delivery (form P9)

Affidavit of assets and liabilities (form P10)

Who can help

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Hillary Linden, Miller Thomson

Hillary Linden

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

This website explains in a general way the law that applies in British Columbia, Canada. The information is not intended as legal advice. The cases we refer to reflect real experiences, but names have been changed. See our full disclaimer.

Get the latest free info — sign up for our newsletter

Access the email newsletter archive.

Contact us

You can reach us by phone at 604-331-5400. More contact info.

Also from People's Law School

Dial-A-Law: A starting point for information on the law in British Columbia in 190+ topic areas. Available online and by phone.

Unbundled Legal Services: Learn about a new service model for lower-cost legal help. 

Beagle: A chatbot that helps with common legal problems. Look in the bottom right corner :)

Thanks to our funders

Meet our primary funders.

People's Law School logo

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.