Applying for a grant of administration

Infographic of when to apply for a grant of administration

When a loved one dies, they leave behind their property and debts. These must be dealt with. A grant of administration is similar to probate. It’s a document issued by the court, giving the person named as administrator the legal authority to settle the estate. Learn when you need to apply for a grant of administration, and how to do it.

What you should know

Apply for a grant of administration

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in April 2020
  • Time to read: 11 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Stephen Hsia, Miller Thomson

Stephen Hsia

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.