A creditor wants to repossess your property

What are my rights?

In year two of my five-year car loan, I missed a payment. The loan was secured. Can the creditor just take my car?
  • Yes
  • No

You’ve borrowed money from someone and can’t pay it back. They may now seek to take your property to satisfy the debt. A creditor’s right to take your property (or repossess it) depends on the terms of your agreement with them and the property involved. Learn your rights when a creditor wants to take your property.

What you should know

Work out the problem

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in June 2018
  • Time to read: 12 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Katherine Wellburn

Katherine Wellburn

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.