Challenging your spouse or parent's will

Myth or fact?

The law says my parents must leave me — their adult child — something under their will. If they don’t leave me anything, the court will automatically agree to give me more money.
  • Myth
  • Fact

With family, it’s always personal. Hurt feelings and disputes can arise if someone feels unfairly neglected in a will, and they’re never fun to face. But if you think your spouse or parent didn’t leave you enough, you can ask the court to re-write the will so you receive a larger share. 

What you should know

Steps to challenge the will

Common questions

Who can help

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in July 2020
  • Time to read: 10 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Amy Mortimore, KC, Clark Wilson LLP

Amy Mortimore, KC

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.