Understand the paperwork when buying a home

Myth or fact?

A seller has to tell a buyer about any problems they're aware of, but that knowledge doesn't have to be accurate.
  • Myth
  • Fact

The amount of paperwork involved in buying a home can be overwhelming. But it’s important to understand what you’re committing to when you sign legal documents. This can ensure you’ll meet strict deadlines, avoid surprises, and can enforce your legal rights. Here are some documents you'll come across at different stages of the home buying process.

Paperwork involved in making an offer

Paperwork involved in closing the deal

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in November 2019
  • Time to read: 10 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Lisa Frey, Lawson Lundell LLP

Lisa Frey

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.