Making a human rights complaint

What are my rights?

In making a human rights complaint, can I ask to get what I was denied (such as a promotion at work)?
  • Yes
  • No

There are different ways to deal with discrimination. Sometimes an apology is enough to patch things up. Maybe changing a policy or practice will make things right. Another option is to bring a formal human rights complaint. Here, we walk you through the steps involved in making a complaint.

What you should know

Steps to make the complaint

Common questions

Who can help

The BC Human Rights Tribunal lists organizations that can help if you feel you’ve been discriminated against. Below are some of the key ones.

  • This information applies to British Columbia, Canada
  • Reviewed for legal accuracy in September 2022
  • Time to read: 11 minutes

Reviewed for legal accuracy by

Laura Track, Community Legal Assistance Society

Laura Track

Also on this topic

Still not sure what to do?

If you're looking for advice specific to your situation, there are options for free or low-cost help.

Options for legal help

We are grateful to work on the unceded traditional territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish) and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations, whose Peoples continue to live on and care for these lands.