We're looking to hire a lawyer with up to three years experience to join our team as a legal content developer. Here's our job posting.
Legal Content Developer — Contract Position
People’s Law School, a leader in public legal education in British Columbia, seeks a lawyer with up to three years experience to help develop information and education for the public. This role combines the experience of a lawyer familiar with client needs with legal writing for the public and a keen interest in using technology to educate and inform.
People's Law School is a non-profit society dedicated to making the law accessible to everyone. Our vision is a province where people have the knowledge, skills and attitudes to resolve everyday legal matters.
As Legal Content Developer, you will:
- Develop practical information for the public to help them avoid or resolve legal problems. You will identify common legal problems in areas of legal need, explain the law in plain language, develop step-by-step guidance on how to deal with the problem, and identify options for help.
- Draft and edit template letters and agreements for clients to download and use.
- Post and edit pages on the website as part of a team of lawyers and editors.
- Respond to the public’s questions on the law by providing relevant information (not legal advice) directly and via postings to the website.
- Monitor trends in the law and legal needs in selected legal topic areas and share updates with others on the team.
- Assist in delivering public-facing education and social media communications on the law and legal resources.
- Law degree from an accredited law school
- Up to three years experience as a practicing lawyer
- Excellent writing, editing and online research skills
- Comfortable working in Google Docs environment
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Must be organized, self-motivated and detail-oriented
- Experience in writing for the public and in plain language is a plus
This is a contract position, with the possibility of renewal. This position is based in Vancouver.
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please send us your resume, link to your LinkedIn page, and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date for applications is May 17, 2019.