You are here

Disputing a Phone Bill - Deal with the problem

Deal with the problem

Step 1. Contact the provider

If you have a problem with your phone bill, give your provider the first chance to solve the problem. Ask your provider to reduce your bill if you think your bill is wrong. 

Ask to tTalk to someone in authority, such as a manager. Be patient, as it may take time to reach a company representative that can truly help. 

Request specifics about how and when something will be done. Get the other person's name in case you have to refer to this conversation later. 

Write down any details of your complaint and keep it in your file. Make sure to date your notes. 

Step 2. Send a complaint letter

If discussing the situation with the provider doesn't resolve the problem, the next step is to send a complaint letter to them to dispute the bill. 

You should include:  

  • your name, address and contact number     
  • your customer account or reference number     
  • copies of the bill you dispute      
  • why you dispute the bill—say which charges are not right  

You can use our template letter to write to your service provider.  

Send the letter to the service provider's customer services department or the contact listed in any complaint procedure the provider has in place. See the back of your paper bill or the provider's website for details on their procedure. If you want to be sure they receive your letter, send it by registered mail. 

Keep a copy of your letter.

Step 3. File a complaint with the CCTS

The Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS) administers the Wireless Code and deals with consumer complaints about cellphone service, including billing issues.

You can file a complaint with the CCTS. You must provide:

  • specific details of your complaint
  • the steps you've taken to resolve the complaint directly with your service provider, including your provider's response
  • what you believe to be a reasonable resolution to your complaint