You are here

Resolving Disputes

Options for Legal Help

There are options for free and low-cost legal help.

Depending on how complex your legal issues are, it can be helpful to have a legal professional assist you. There are options for free and low-cost legal help.

Options for free legal advice

There may be times when you want legal advice. Options for free legal advice include:

Lawyer Referral Service

A service that helps British Columbians of any income find a suitable lawyer to serve their legal needs. Operated by Access Pro Bono, the service provides the contact details of a lawyer who will meet with you for a free half-hour legal consultation. The lawyer can provide some initial advice on your options. Then, if you and the lawyer agree, you can hire that lawyer at their regular rates.

Call 604-687-3221 (Lower Mainland)
Call 1-800-663-1919 (toll-free)
Send email 
Visit website

Access Pro Bono Clinics

At in-person clinics throughout BC, volunteer lawyers provide free legal advice to people with limited means.

Call 604-878-7400 (Lower Mainland)
Call 1-877-762-6664 (toll-free)
Visit website

Legal Aid BC

The agency that operates legal aid in British Columbia provides a range of advice and representation services to help people for certain types of legal problems who meet financial guidelines.

Call 604-408-2172 (Lower Mainland)
Call 1-866-577-2525 (toll-free)
Visit website 

A more affordable way to hire a lawyer: unbundled legal services

According to national surveys of lawyer fees, hourly rates for lawyers range from $200 to $400, depending on the experience of the lawyer, the size of the law firm, and the type of matter. To hire a lawyer in a lawsuit costs $10,000 to $50,000 and beyond, depending on whether the case goes to trial and how complex and contentious it is.  

An emerging option that can reduce the expense is to look for a lawyer that offers unbundled legal services. This can allow you to get a lawyer's assistance depending on what you can afford and what you need the most help with. See our page on unbundled legal services to learn whether this option could be a good fit for your situation.

Notaries help with many non-contentious legal services

Depending on your situation, you may be able to get help from other legal professionals. A notary public is a legal professional authorized to provide many non-contentious legal services to the public. For example, a notary can prepare a will or power of attorney and notarize signatures on documents. The BC Notaries website offers a list of notaries in the province. 

Advocates provide help for low-income and marginalized people

Legal advocates provide free support, advocacy and information to low-income and marginalized people experiencing legal problems. Advocates usually work out of community agencies, such as community service centres, churches or women's centres. PovNet offers a Find an Advocate map, and Clicklaw's HelpMap lists dozens of legal advocates in BC.

Student legal clinics provide assistance in some communities

At student legal clinics in the Lower Mainland and Victoria, law students can help those who would otherwise be unable to afford legal assistance. The students help with legal problems such as tenancy or work problems, accessing government benefits, (less serious) criminal charges, and small claims cases. The University of British Columbia's Law Students' Legal Advice Program clinics serve the Lower Mainland and the University of Victoria's Law Centre serves the Victoria area. 

Finding legal help in your community

The Clicklaw HelpMap includes options for free or low-cost legal help in communities across the province.

For more options for legal help, see the Dial-A-Law page on free and low-cost legal help.

</> Embed

Embed People's Law School content on your website. (Learn about embedding content.)

Provide your information
Provide the website address where you will use our content. Just include the domain part of the address (until .ca, .org, or .com).
Copy the embed code
Copy and paste this code to a location within your website. For the embedded content to appear on your site, you must submit this form.
Submit this form
Subscribe to RSS - Legal Help & Lawyers